Saturday, April 3, 2010

My First Flirt with Cuba

I spent a week in Havana hanging out, photographing, and learning many new and fascinating things about this very friendly and beautiful island. Claire and Papi welcomed me whole heartedly, showing me around and helping to make my journey very pleasant. I learned way too many things to write all about it here. Maybe someday you can engage me in a conversation and I will share aspects of my insights with you. Until then, you can check out these images!

Darling. Just freaking darling.








Some pig heads are way cool.


Everybody wants to give the thumbs up when I take their picture. It started to drive me insane. Take a gander. Count the thumbs.

Pigeon feeding time.
Check out that amazing camera!
Papa Noel en Cuba!!!





My homie at the "train graveyard"..... see below!
"Train graveyard" so to say. They are restoring the trains for use, but due to the failing economy around the globe, they are having troubles finding the funds to undertake the project.
Plaza de la Revolución.
The kid in front asked for a photo. His friend jumped in the frame....
And then another friend wanted in on the fun!
Papi Cash. The man, the myth, the legend.

We talked about reggae.


He has family living in Portland.


El Capitolio, which is similar aesthetically to the capitol building In DC, was the seat of the government until the revolution. It now houses the Cuban Academy of Sciences.


Probably the creepiest Jesus I have ever seen. And I have seen a lot.
"You want to see my car from the 30's? You can photograph it", says this guy.... "How about you let me photograph you?", says me.
Church in Old Havana. It is hard to photograph the whole square due to tables from restaurants, and a million and eight tourists. But it is really beautiful.



Old hotel that is being renovated.















Jesús' youngest daughter, Nieve, is beautifully amazing.
Marisco is sweet.
Claire and Jesús are pretty amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Claire and Jesus are adorable. I so badly want to go to Cuba. And, the photo nine from the bottom with the guy in blue shorts is breathtaking. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome awesome awesome man can't wait to hang and talk about all your travels when you get home miss you man

    ReplyDelete