Friday, January 22, 2010

New Years ROCKS!

Fun little statues are found all around the city. They come in a form like these or more doll like or are homemade. They are called ano viejos, because at midnight they are burned to signify the burning of the old year and the welcoming of the new one.
Traditional masks like these are being sold everywhere the days leading up to the new year.
Another Ecuadorian new year tradition is eating 12 grapes and making 12 wishes for the upcoming 12 months just before midnight. Allegedly you are supposed to eat the 12 grapes in the last 12 seconds of the old year.... but that is so hard! You try eating 12 grapes in 12 seconds!!
An ano viejo on a car, a common sight close to the holiday.
I bought some fireworks from this lady. Not THE firework. I unfortunately don't have any images of either the firework or the lady who sold it to me.
Some brothers waiting for their father to get his shoes shined. The one kid was being shy and didn't want to be in the photo.
These kids snuck up on me and were really excited when I told them to get in the shot!
More ano viejos.
A super awesome firework kit! I wanted it. WAAAAAY out of my price range! Probably a good thing.
Cute vendor lady with a knife through her head!


How am I NOT supposed to blow my hand up!!! I got one of the ones on the left and it was pretty intense! Not anywhere as intense as the papa though!
New years eve! On the way to the METAL SHOW!

This guy was cool. I was taking pictures of just the ano viejo and he practically chased me to get me to take this photo! I was more than happy to oblige.
This was taken at La Concha, Or Al Sur Del Cielo, or South of Heaven, the annual ECUAMETAL show on New Years Eve.
La concha!
Getting into the New Years festivities, metal style!

I love this mask. I want two hanging on my wall. We overheard this kids nickname was Pollo!
Lightning bolt. Need I say more? I didn't think so.
Cutest family ever! The girl had a Black Sabbath shirt and the boy a Brujeria shirt! The dad was off getting beer, so unfortunately he is not pictured.
COLAPSO!
These kids had the cutest puppy. It is not looking at the camera. :(
Outside the show. Fiestaing on the street!

Goro dancing with a viuda, a widow of the old year.
Hey baby.
Costume on Amazonas, a huge street in Quito that gets closed down for a massive party showcasing huge floats and the sweetest costumes.
Freddy Kruger




This guy won my most amazing costume prize. Not too elaborate, but amazing nonetheless!!





Goro with the ano viejo we made and burned.
Burning 2009.
Rafa clown.
Denise's bad ass shoes!
This is how I ended my night/started my year. In the emergency room getting stitched up. You know how I wanted to buy all those fireworks? I am glad I didn't because I don't ever want to light anything more powerful than a sparkler for the rest of my life. I like my deformed fingers, and can't wait until they bend again. Love you all, and remember!!! FIREWORKS ARE DANGEROUS!!!

1 comment: